Saturday, November 26, 2011

In the beginning...

To God be the glory for the great things He has done


Improvisationer?  Well, with the multitude of blogs on the web now, I had to stretch it a little.  But isn't that what great improvisation is, stretching it just a bit?  If we think about what improvised solos are, they are just spontaneous stretching of an established pattern.  We take some changes and add our interpretations.  Stretch It!  Has anybody figured out what the word for the day is (heh heh in my Pee Wee Herman voice)?  Stretch!  Hopefully, this blog will make you stretch just beyond your comfort zone and try something new or different.  Hopefully you will think about your playing and the playing of others and .... yes ... stretch it just a bit.  Enough with the stretching thing...for now.  Why did I decide on blogging?

Every musician should keep a practice journal, which inherently means you are practicing.  You are practicing, right?  You do have a schedule, right?  Well if you don't, it's never to late to start!  This is my practice journal.  My goal is to share strategies, techniques, tools, tips, and all that other stuff that gets passed on from musician to musician.  I am NOT a professional (yet!)  I am NOT a professor (yet!)  I do NOT have all of the answers or knowledge (ever!).  In fact, if you stick around you will see what I don't have but you will also see what I do have and feel free to share what you have.  We all bring something to the dinner table, even if it's just a fork!  So eat up and don't forget to share your "recipes" and most of all ... Stretch It!!


No comments:

Post a Comment